Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Introduction to Resting-State Functional Connectivity Analysis: You Can Do It! (Maybe)

A while ago I promised to provide a series of tutorials on resting-state connectivity, and I'm happy to announce the first part after a brief delay of, give or take, fourteen months. But in my defense, I wanted to wait until I had everything well prepared and ready to go, by which I mean until I had a new suit, which, obviously, is a critical part of the education process.

For this series, in order to follow along I recommend downloading resting-state data from the ABIDE website, which collects resting-state data from autistic subjects and controls. The end result will be a simple comparison of resting-state networks across both populations, which, although the interpretation of such results has a large farrago of its own issues, should provide a solid platform from which to launch your own resting-state analyses. We will be using AFNI for this demonstration, although in the future I may include an identical analysis using FSL.

First, you need to jump through the usual administrative hoops in order to download the dataset. This involves a simple series of steps, such as registering as a member, filling out a form with your username and password, and immolating a virginal undergraduate RA. The resulting aroma will summon the resting-state data, which can then be downloaded to your computer.

First, register at the NITRC website: http://www.nitrc.org/account/register.php
Two, request access from the following link: http://fcon_1000.projects.nitrc.org/indi/req_access.html
Last, go to the ABIDE website and download a resting-state dataset (I am using data from the Kennedy Krieger Institute): http://fcon_1000.projects.nitrc.org/indi/abide/



As for finding and sacrificing the virginal undergraduate RA, you're on your own.

5 comments:

  1. Instructors at my university are recommending your blog to their students. You are single-handedly educating a new era of neuroscience students Andrew Jahn, God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the most encouraging remarks I have ever heard; thank you for sharing that with me! It inspires me to do better, and to do more.

      Just out of curiosity, which university?


      Best,

      -Andy

      Delete
  2. The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee campus.
    I felt particularly high and mighty because I've creeping your blog for years now and then a couple of months ago one of our tenured professors sent out a general email to all of the imaging students essentially saying, "You guys need to check out this blog, especially if you're a beginner, it's amazing" so it was like I was ahead of the curve.

    But anyway, I've talked to some people about it since then and you maaaaaaay have a UWM fanclub currently in development. Please keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andrew,
    Have have you come across Granger Causality Analysis in resting state fMRI? So far I heard about the following method (http://restfmri.net/forum/index.php) which does not document preprocessing pretty well. I have been trying this analysis without much success and I was curious if you ever looked over this. Cheers,
    Pablo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pablo,

      I haven't had any experience doing Granger causality analysis with FMRI data, but the general consensus is that it isn't appropriate as an FMRI analysis, since the time resolution is so slow. This is discussed in more detail in Friston's 2011 Brain Connectivity paper, functional and effectivity: a review.


      Best,

      -Andy

      Delete