Monday, August 13, 2012

Miles for Lyle

Readers and fellow brain-bloggers,

In a couple of months, I will be running the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon as a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society (ACS). This is the first time I have done something like this, and I am going to need all the help I can get.

Over a year ago, my grandpa was diagnosed with Merkel cell carcinoma, a particularly malignant and aggressive form of cancer which has since spread to his liver. Needless to say the prognosis is not good; but instead of sitting around on my hands worrying, I took advice from a friend and decided to try raising money through the sport that I love.

Lyle Oechsle - my grandpa - has spent the last couple of decades working as the director of the YMCA in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Some of my fondest memories as a child were going with him to family swim on Friday nights, then cruising over to TCB to the motherfucking Y to load up on that froyo, renting a movie, and falling asleep in front of the fire we would build in the fireplace downstairs. Reader, these were some of the happiest years of my life; having a stable routine and something to look forward to every weekend with someone who cares about you.

Me and Lyle enjoying a grill

Lyle was also highly sensitive to the needs of others, and I remember accompanying him on several occasions to visit his older friends and acquaintances who were suffering from disease of coping with the loss of loved ones. I didn't understand how important it was at the time that these people had someone who would visit them regularly or leave them presents; but it made me aware of what many people go through, and it put things in perspective for me all these years later.

And now, it is my turn to take care of him. Please visit the following webpage and, if you are willing and able, make a donation for whatever you can spare: Miles for Lyle

Get at that money!!

No comments:

Post a Comment